- This Chinese astilbe variety is noted for having better sun and drought tolerance than most x arendsii hybrids.
- Removing faded flower stalks will not prolong bloom but may improve plant appearance, particularly if a ground cover look is desired.
- On the other hand, many gardeners leave the flower stalks in place after bloom because of the continuing ornamental interest of the dried seed heads.
- Divide clumps when overcrowding occurs (every 3-4 years).
Chinese Astilbe (Visions)
- Height: 1 to 1.5 feet
Spread: 1 to 1.5 feet
Bloom Time: July to August
Bloom Description: Pink
Sun: Part shade to full shade
Flower: Showy, Good Cut
Tolerate: Rabbit, Deer, Heavy Shade, Black Walnut
- Easily grown in average, medium moisture, well-drained soils in part shade to full shade.
- Prefers moist, humusy, organically rich soils.
- Soils must not be allowed to dry out.
- If regularly watered, foliage will usually remain attractive throughout the growing season.
- A summer compost mulch helps retain soil moisture.